Below on this page:
- 1. Class Schedule For 2009
- . . . . . . . 1st Spring session -- Mon Mar 2 thru Fri Apr 10
- . . . . . . . 2nd Spring session -- Mon May 4 thru Fri Jun 12
- . . . . . . . Summer session -- Mon Jul 6 thru Fri Aug 14
- . . . . . . . 1st Fall session -- Tue Sep 8 thru Mon Oct 19
- . . . . . . . 2nd Fall session -- Mon Nov 2 thru Fri Dec 11
- 2. Class Descriptions
- 3. Lab Sessions
- 4. How To Register
- 5. Cost
- 6. Location
- * Note that these class offerings are TENTATIVE until officially announced by the registrar.
- * Date Changes: Note that the dates shown are initial PLANNING dates.
Actual class schedules at holidays and other conflicts will be adjusted by consensus of class members
1st Spring Session --Mon Mar 2 thru Fri Apr 10
- * Mon, Mar 2 10:15 am to 12:15 pm -- Introduction to Email
- * Tue, Mar 3, 10:15 am to 12:15 pm -- Computer Applications
- * Wed, Mar 11, 10:15 am to 12:15 pm -- Graphics I - Photo Editing - Cancelled
- * Thr, Mar 5, 10:15 am to 12:15 pm -- Fundamentals - Full
- * Fri, Mar 6, 10:15 am to 12:15 pm -- Fundamentals - Full
- * Mon, May 4, 10:15 am to 12:15 pm -- Introduction to the Internet
- * Tue, May 5, 10:15 am to 12:15 pm -- Computer Applications
- * Wed, May 6, 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm-- Graphics I - Photo Editing
- * Thr, May 7, 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm-- Fundamentals
- * Fri, May 8, 10:15 am to 12:15 pm -- Fundamentals
- * Mon, Jul 6, 10:15 am to 12:15 pm -- Intro to Internet
- *Tue, Jul 7, 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm -- Computer Applications
- * Wed, Jul 8, 10:15 pm to 12:15 pm -- Graphics II - Creative Projects
- * Thr, Jul 9, 10:15 am to 12:15 pm -- Fundamentals - Cancelled
- * Fri, Jul 10, 10:15 am to 12:15 pm -- No Class scheduled
- * Mon, Sep 14, 10:15 am to 12:15 pm -- Intro to Email
- * Tue, Sep 8, 10:15 am to 12:15 pm -- Computer Applications
- * Wed, Sep 9, 10:15 pm to 12:15 pm -- No Class
- * Thr, Sep 10, 10:15 am to 12:15 pm -- No Class
- * Fri, Sep 11, 10:15 am to 12:15 pm -- Fundamentals
- * Mon, Nov 2, 10:15 am to 12:15 pm -- Intro to Internet
- * Tue, Nov 3, 10:15 am to 12:15 pm -- Word Processing
- * Wed -- No Class (see 2-day Christmas Card workshop listed on Schedule Page 2)
- * Thur -- No Class (see 2-day evening iPod workshop listed on Schedule Page 2 )
- * Fri, Nov 6, 10:15 am to 12:15 pm -- Fundamentals
- This class focuses on the fun in fundamentals .Beginning students learn how a computer operates, how to organize the desktop and how to create files. They also learn computer games and programs to build computer typing skills.
- Students will learn basic word processing skills including creating, editing using cut and paste features, inserting clip art, printing documents, envelopes and return address labels. The importance of managing computer files and folders will be stressed. An introduction to spreadsheets and database for personal use will also be covered.
- This class will include finding genealogy information on the internet, and from other sources available through the Library; and organizing this information using genealogy software.
- Students will use Picasa software to edit and organize digital photographs
- Fun with Word and Paint, which will cover creative projects such as making greeting cards, scrapbook pages, and adding pictures and photos to documents.
- Students will learn basic web searching skills including using web based e-mail and test drive popular search engines. They will also explore chat rooms where other seniors are online as a forum to discuss senior issues or a way to meet new people with similar interests.
- This course will present the basics of Email use. Actual Yahoo and SeniorNet email accounts will be set up and used during the course. Since these accounts are username and password protected, you will be able to use your created accounts on your home computer. Various features of each provider will be tried. This course will also include a review of computer maintenance procedures.
- Prerequisites are fundamentals and computer applications
- Students will learn word processing skills including creating, editing and printing documents. They will explore inserting and deleting text, cutting and pasting text, file management, font specifications, etc.
- Digital Photo Editing using Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0
- Prerequisite is completion of Graphics I class
- Prerequisites are completions of fundamentals and computer applications classes
- Students will learn skills associated with creating and editing spreadsheets.
- Current and former students may use use the SeniorNet computers during lab times to practice or ask basic questions.
- A lab monitor can be present (by advance appointment) to help you if you get "stuck"
- Pre-registration is required, due to class size being limited to 10 students for the 10 computer stations.
- Call the Library at 326-0536, and ask the desk attendant to put your name and phone number on the "SeniorNet Callback List".
- A registration volunteer will call you back. If you just have questions, you can also leave your number for the registration volunteer.
- The cost for a 6-week session of classes is $25. This $25 charge goes to the local SeniorNet, and helps to defray the cost of computers, printing manuals, advertising, postage, and other SeniorNet operating expenses.
- Membership in SeniorNet is required at a $40 fee, per year . This $40 fee goes to National SeniorNet in Washington, DC.
- The cost to repeat a class is only $12.50. Members are encouraged to repeat classes as often as they like.
- All classes are held in the SeniorNet Learning Center, Fourth Floor, James V. Brown Library at 19 East Fourth Street in Williamsport Pennsylvania. Plenty of parking is always available in the metered lots behind the library.
This page modified 10/21/2009 (10/22jri) by Deb Damaska